I’ve written before about the strange electrical anomalies that sometimes happen in our house–bulbs that burn out in spectacular fashion and exercise equipment that suddenly acts funny–and last night we had another instance.
As we often do, my wife Rebecca and I were sitting at the dining room table chatting after supper when I heard a noise. I turned around and looked toward the other side of the house and she immediately got up to check… she’d heard it, too. She found nothing amiss and returned to the dining room, saying “Well, I guess someone’s just trying to get our attention.”
She sat down and turned the knob on a space heater we’ve been using in this cold winter (our cat especially loves it), and when it started to power up, POW! A brilliant flash of white light, and the space heater’s element burned out. The space heater is just four months old, a Christmas present.
She said, “Someone’s trying to get our attention.”
Immediately after… POW.
Rebecca witnessed it and can’t deny it, so if you know her, ask her about it.
Well-played, Gray Lady. You got my attention.
Troy Larson is a father, author, and photographer originally from Minot, North Dakota, now residing in Fargo.